Gediminas’ Tower is part of the Vilnius Castle, the Palace of the Grand Dukes and the National Museum of Lithuania. The remaining part of the upper brick castle was completed in 1409 by Grand Duke Vytautas. In spring 2016, part of the North side of Gediminas’ Hill started sliding. The area is protected with a temporary geotextile white cover.
Landslides at Gediminas’ Hill have made the news many times. There is a lot of pressure from the media on getting Gediminas’ slope and Hill back to its original state and re-opening the site to the public. The site and the funicular are currently closed to visitors.